An ultimate graphics card utility, MSI Afterburner is one of the best graphics card overclocking software in the market. This free graphics card utility tool offers you complete control over the graphics card and performs several tasks like troubleshooting, monitoring, and tweaking the GPU.
As a result, you can enjoy a smooth and lag-free game every time on your PC. MSI Afterburner also gives you a detailed view of your hardware that makes it easy to tweak and monitor the changes made. Apart from that, it also offers a few additional functionalities like video recording, benchmarking, customizing fan profiles, and so on.
In this post, we have highlighted a few top features of MSI Afterburner that will help you control your GPU and optimize it for better results. You can also find detailed instructions on how you can install and set up MSI Afterburner on your own PC.
Features of MSI Afterburner
MSI Afterburner works with all brand GPUs and provides easy control to your GPU settings. Here are a few features of this software that will allow you to make tweaks in your GPU and then monitor the changes.
If you don’t have experience in overclocking then doing it for the first time can be a risky move. Thankfully, MSI Afterburner offers precision settings that you can choose to get maximum capability from your CPU while reducing the chances of any permanent hardware damage.
With this software, you can make a lot of changes in your GPU settings including core clock speed, temperature limit, power limit, core voltage, fan speed, and so on. As a result, it becomes easier to find the right settings that will maintain a balance between capability and performance.
That’s not all, this software also offers a utility known as an OS scanner that is capable of scanning your model, finding the highest yet stable overclocking settings, and then applying it for your gaming performances.
Customized Fan Profile
Another major feature of MSI Afterburner is that it offers a customized fan profile that will increase or decrease the fan speed based on the GPU temperature. With the help of this feature, you can get the maximum GPU capability without worrying about the high temperature as the fan will automatically boost the speed to get rid of the heat.
When you change the settings with the overclocking tools, this utility of MSI Afterburner allows you to keep a track of the real-time hardware performance including GPU temperature, FPS, usage percentage, voltage, etc.
You can view this data in both graphical form or on the On-Screen Display, this allows you to monitor the effects of your tweaks when you are playing the game as well. With its RivaTuner Statistics Server utility, you can even set a frame cap for your game and is actually brilliant for low-range to mid-range graphic cards.
With the help of the Predator utility in MSI Afterburner, you can even capture videos in different formats like WMV and AVI with H.264 codec. That’s not all, you also have the option to capture videos in different compression types, quality, resolution, and framerate limit.
Installation Requirements for MSI Afterburner
If you wish to download and install MSI Afterburner on your PC, then you need to first make sure that your PC meets the system requirements to run MSI Afterburner.
Here are a few requirements to keep in mind before you begin the installation:
- Operating System: Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 8.1, and Windows 10 (Available in both 32-bit and 64-bit)
- Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 6 or AMD Radeon HD 2000 or equivalent
- Updated Drivers: AMD Catalyst 9.3 (or higher), NVIDIA Forceware 96.xx (or newer)
An important thing to keep in mind is that while other graphics cards will work with MSI Afterburner as well, there might be some limitations in the functionality the GPU is not the same as mentioned above.
How to Download and Install MSI Afterburner
It is quite easy to download and set up MSI Afterburner on your PC. Just follow the below-mentioned steps and you will be able to use MSI Afterburner on your PC in no time at all.
- Go to MSI Afterburner’s official website at https://fileproto.com/msi-afterburner-download/
- Next, scroll to the bottom of the home page of the MSI Afterburner website and choose from the available download options. You have the choice to download the software for your PC, Android, and a Remote Server. Click on the ‘Download’ button under the platform where you are planning to install this software.
- Wait for the download to get completed.
Installing and Setting Up MSI Afterburner on PC
Once the download is complete, you can start with the installation process of MSI Afterburner.
- Go to the Downloads folder where the MSI Afterburner .zip file has been saved.
- Next, extract the zip file to the MSI Afterburner Setup folder with the help of WinRar.
- Once the extraction is completed, double-click on the folder to open the contents folder and look for the MSI Afterburner executable file for installation.
- Double-click on the executable file and start the installation process.
- Follow the installation guide according to the instructions displayed and ensure that you install Kombustor also during the process. Wait for the installation to get completed.
- Once the installation is complete, launch the MSI Afterburner software from the desktop icon or the Start menu.
- After the software is open, click on the ‘Settings’ option that will be displayed in the form of a cogwheel icon.
- Next, choose the ‘Default MSI Afterburner’ skin under the ‘User Interface’ tab. This will give you a user-friendly interface that will be easy to navigate.
- Finally, navigate to the ‘General’ tab and check the options ‘Unlock Voltage Control’ and ‘Unlock Voltage Monitoring’.
MSI Afterburner is now successfully set up on your PC and is ready to be used. You can make advanced changes to your system settings and can even overclock your GPU now.